The 2002 Northside Bible Church VBS Camp theme was “God’s Groceries”. The verse selected representing the theme was Philippians 1:11 (KJV) - “Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.”
This theme allowed for bible lessons to be built around truths in scripture that could be identified with items found in a Grocery Store. For example, topics like milk, bread, fruit, and meat:
- 1 Peter 2:2 (KJV) As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
- Hebrews 5:12-14 (KJV) For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk , and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
- John 6:35 (KJV) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
- Luke 4:4 (KJV) And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
- Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self -control. Against such things there is no law.
- Ephesians 5:9-11 (KJV) (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
The theme also explained how everyone that applies God’s word in their life are “Sackers” at God’s Grocery Store while those who ignore God’s word are “Slackers”.
Bill Sky "The Bible Guy" - God's Groceries Here is a video that was used to begin the lessons taught each day combined with a handout that listed verses discussed for each item found in “God’s Grocery” store.
The camp was held on July 7th through July 10th, 2002 at Northside Bible Church. All children present indicated they had made the decision to accept Christ Jesus as their personal Savior so it was a great success! We hope you enjoy the video and slides as well.